Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Welcoming the Stranger and Cultivating Compassion in a World of Fear

Friday morning a woman walked up to me and gave me a piece of paper with a kind note and a copy of this image, Eichenberg's "Christ of the Breadlines" We had been together at a session on Welcoming the Stranger at the Moltmann Conversation hosted by Emergent Village. She was not a registered conference attender, just a woman from Libertyville Presbyterian Church, where the conference convened. She listened to us, and even chimed in periodically, wrestle together to think about how to cultivate welcome and compassion in a world that treats fear as a commodity.

Eichenberg's woodcut is a powerful reminder that it is in the midst of strangers and outcasts that we are most likely to encounter Christ. If that's the case, how do we welcome strangers and cultivate compassion in a world of fear? How can we restore their broken humanity? (I think that it must be more than simply giving them handouts, but I need your help.)

How can the church, who claims to be the living presence of Jesus in the world, meet the living presence of Jesus in the stranger?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it begins with seeing the person. Actually seeing him or her, with the eyes of Christ; seeing each person as a gift, created for a purpose and with value, with a story, and with a future. Actually taking the time to slow down and perceive those things instead of rushing straight past them, even for the best of reasons, such as wanting to help the person. We must start with respect, and we must honor the image of God which is to be found in each person. It's only then, with a real connection to the person behind the societal construct of "outcast," that we may proceed to minister out of love. Perhaps not practical, but it's something that all too often is forgotten.

Eric said...

Thanks, Laura. I appreciate your comment. (BTW, I don't think we have met. How did you find your way here?)

While you may not think that your post is "practical," it immediately took my mind to the narrative of Jesus in Simon's house in Luke 7:36ff. All Simon sees an outcast 'sinner' who's invaded his dinner party. Jesus turns the tables and challenges him to her, to give her back her humanity (divinity?) by truly seeing her.

One of the questions that I brought up in our conversation last week was the subject and nature of power. There is an inherent power that is used, if not abused, when we think first of the "societal construct of 'outcast.'" That label can be a way of maintaining power of the 'other.' By first seeing the image of God, the 'outcast' quickly becomes the host. That's a pretty important move in Christian hospitality, the blurred lines between guest and host.

Anonymous said...

You're right, we haven't met. At least not that I know of. I'm a good friend of Derrick Doyle's, and I think I happened upon your blog from his quite a while ago. I added it to my feed on Bloglines, and though this is the first time I've ever commented, I've very much enjoyed reading what you've had to say. Also, I'm a fellow ACU student now, just having started work on an MDiv missions degree in the past few weeks.

Eric said...

Well welcome here! Doyle is a great friend and a wonderful person.

Good to know that you're at ACU. Please tell Naomi and Jamey Walters and Jaron Bentley hello for me. They are special people to me. Also, please say hello to Jeff Childers. JC and his family are some of the most important people in our lives.

My family and I will be in Abilene in January for a DMin course. Maybe we will cross paths then.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Norsemanrm said...

Great post!!
I feel like there is a move among God's people to do more than defend a certain position or interpretation more than I can ever remember.
We seem to be realizing the God has a passion for ALL men and that one of the best praises we can offer him is to be out of our buildings and in the lives of people.
As your new friend Laura said to SEE THEM.
You and I have talked about this in depth recently and I see and hear it coming up more and more.
People asking what gift or skill (cup of cool water) do I have to make a difference in peoples lives?
I'll have to share with you some of the things developing here.